I would rate this week as a 6. While it when pretty well while we were in the classroom, there were some issues that arose from weather conditions. This week we had a holiday Monday, a workday Tuesday, Wednesday we were dismissed at 1:00, Thursday we had a two hour delay, and of course today was cancelled because of snow and such.
Observe: I was really surprised with the one math lesson that I was able to teach, went really well. We were doing crossing tens in the lesson, that aligned with NCSCOS. I've not taught math much and being able to do it in the classroom has been an experience.
Reflect: I will continue to build upon the unlikely friendships in our Language Arts lessons. We have not been able to have but two lessons and we made text to text connections with the dream of Martin Luther King Jr. That people will get along and the unlikely friendships of Owen and Mzee follows along.
Be Productive: I want to spend more time instructing and less time controlling student behavior. The students are really trying me by seeing how much I will let them get away with. I had a discussion with my CE about whether or not I am being too tough on the students. She explained to me that I am handling the behavior well and appropriately. She told me that she would handle it the same way that I am. This discussion was really helpful for me.
Have Courage: Yesterday, I had a little apprehension about teaching a new strategy for the students when it comes to solving addition problems by crossing a ten. I had great worry that I would not be teaching impactful enough so that the students would grasp the new strategy for solving addition problems.
Begin Anew: My first logical step for new week is to reteach mathematical practices to the students based on the new strategies that are being taught.
Standard 1: 1a, This week I was able to gain data about the development of students in my class from MAP, mClass, and DIBELS. This data showed me which of my students seem to be demonstrating understand of content, and those that are not. This week I learned that based on scores from testing that I will have a student that will be considered EC. This truly affects this students development that will carry on with him into high school.
Standard 2: 2c, I am really trying hard to convey high expectations for all students. Each student is different and learns differently. I've made sure that if students feel that they are not able to complete a task, I ensure that I encourage them and explain to them that they can complete a task.
Standard 3: 3a, All of my lessons for math and teacher read aloud have focused on NCSCOS, in mathematics it was the development of mental strategies to solve math.
Standard 4: 4b, I know now that I have a student that is classified as EC. Yesterday we had an IEP, and it was explained that while he can do math, he cannot read well. It is my job that make sure that I am reading everything on the board, and as well as encouraging him to read as much as possible.
Standard 5: 5a, since I know that I have a student that is struggling to read I make sure to read all direction, and text on the board just to make sure that he knows what we are doing during a lesson or what he needs to do for the assessment.
Signing off with another quote:
“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” -William Arthur Ward
Trotter Trotter,
ReplyDeleteI know exactly how you felt about not teaching to fullest potential. I felt as if I was not reaching my students at one point this week, because the lesson was sort of boring. Best step to take next is to make sure EVERY lesson has relevancy!