Monday, February 15, 2016

Week 2 of Student Teaching

I would rate this week a 5. The week went really well, I am becoming very conscience about how to differentiate my instruction for my students, as well as where to add in global awareness.

    • Observe: Common Core math, as all of you know is not what we were taught in elementary school. I can remember when we had only one way to solve an addition or subtraction problem and that was vertically. Now students have many ways to solve using place value charts, the arrow way, and totals below (addition). I am very surprised how well I have been able to pick up on these different strategies. In my math instruction I have had my students doing the different strategies, but I have allowed them to work with the one that they feel the most comfortable with.
    • Reflect: I am continuing to implement TRC during my guided reading groups. DIBELS data shows lack in TRC, when I am asking comprehension questions students can answer the question in a generalized manner from what we read from the book, but is still struggling to take the text as their ticket for success with TRC.
    • Focus:  I feel that I have been able to add global awareness into different parts of instruction. I have used it in phonics, guided reading groups, and at my end of the day read aloud. My goal for this week was to implement global awareness about countries traditions for children that have lost their teeth, since this week we have focused on dental care, and topics such as health and the tooth fairy. Who would have ever know that Spain does not have a "tooth fairy" per say but Raton Perez, who is a little mouse that gets children's teeth from underneath their pillows and leaves gifts for them.
    • Be Productive: I could spend more time on closure in my lessons. I have been able to do this for phonics, ELA, and read aloud, but I am struggling doing this with math. My goal is to research closure techniques for mathematics.
    • Have Courage:  I have had some apprehension on how to help my newest student that just moved from another county last month. Student K is struggling in almost every part of instruction. I have made it my mission after the instruction of the math lesson to move this student to the back table, so that I can work one-one with them. I did not know if this work cause the student to worked harder or not. I finally tried it Wednesday, and this helped significantly.
    • Begin Anew: Friday I attended a DIBELS workshop. My first logical step is to teach students to flip the question into their answer in their TRC questions for guided reading and IME time.

  • NC Professional Teaching Standards (be sure to reference activities from your lesson plans to solidify your answer)
      • Standard 1: This week I have been able to attend a DIBELS workshop to help me while teaching my students during guided reading and IME time. This workshop helped my on how to model for my students, the information that they need to help in DIBELS testing.
      • Standard 2: This week I have made sure that my students know that while I am having them face the consequences for negative actions that I still love them, and I care about their learning. When I have a student clip down I ensure that I explain to them why I am having them clip down. I also reward them for doing positive actions. I am working on being aware on how to provide a environment for student growth.
      • Standard 3: Ultimately, all of my lessons are linked with NCSCOS, but I want to make the standards relevant to the students. This week we learned a lot about slavery.
      • Standard 4: Based on scores of MAP testing, I am continually looking at the development of students. I have a three groups of students based upon MAP scores. I am planning my lesson based upon their development.
      • Standard 5: I am ultimately identifying data sources to improve my students learning. I am using data from DIBELS and MAP to improve my students learning during my lessons.
  • Other:
    • What components of your portfolio have you started to complete?: I have been able to gain artifacts for my unit from my two students.
    • What support does your clinical educator need from Mrs.Suttle?: No support is needed at this time.
    • What support do you need from Mrs. Suttle?: No support is needed at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment