- For this week I would rate it a 4. I have become very flexible on schedule because of this week. We had Read Across America all week, and it really I would say hurt my instruction, it just caused me to plan and plan again based on the set/unset schedule.
- Seven questions to end your week:
- Observe: This week seemed to be pretty successful on managing student behavior. Students seemed to respond to my positive reinforcement better, I am still working on being intentional on not constantly correcting someone, but to rather just give them a consequence because it is causing time loss during the lesson.
- Reflect: My students are having difficulties identifying mathematical language during application problems. This week I am going to implement math vocabulary as a hook for my math lessons.
- Focus: I am still working on differentiation in the classroom, as well as global awareness. I have been able to step up my global awareness game by putting current events on the board such as the American astronaut being in space with a Russian cosmonaut for a year and the space race between the two countries years ago.
- Be Productive: I can spend less time correcting negative behavior, and more time quickly reinforcing positive behavior, and have the students with the bad behavior to face the consequence of clipping down.
- Have Courage: I had a little apprehension about a lesson this week for having students to work in groups to create a timeline on the Civil Rights Movement. My CE wanted me to read the text have students on their own paper create the timeline, and then do it in a group. I explained to her that they would not be cooperating with each other nor allowing them to think critically about the events in the story if we gave them the answers. She agreed, and even though I had some apprehension on not even telling how I thought the students would gain the information better, I was able to discuss them, and the cooperative groups did great!
- Begin Anew: I am having to somewhat clear my mind on the Civil Rights Movement because we are moving to Tales around the world which will help promote global awareness for students.
- What were some data you analyzed this week and how did it help guide your decisions?
- NC Professional Teaching Standards (be sure to reference activities from your lesson plans to solidify your answer)
- Standard 1: 1c, Last Friday I attended professional development workshops. The first was "Sharpening Literacy and Vocabulary Skills and the other was Understanding Poverty Needs." These workshops helped me identify how to develop a classroom that not only the county faces but the state as a whole faces.
- Standard 2: 2b, This week I have able to help students gather information on point of view. For example we used the think, feel, action model to understand the author's point of view. For example this week we read Freedom Summer. The book has two characters and views one event in two different ways. Students were able to identify these differences.
- Standard 3: 3d, I am trying to use more technology in the classroom. Some of my students do very well using the technology whereas others struggle with it. I have found that if I know that a student has problems using the technology that I have to guide them through each step or provide another way of getting them through the learning experience.
- Standard 4: 4d, As I said above I am trying to integrate technology into more of my lessons. My students that are successful with technology are doing great and are developing faster because they are able to work things out quicker, for example this week I used an app called Doodle Buddy to have student work out math problems some students did well while others were not as successful.
- Standard 5: 5b, Last week I participated in professional development workshops that helped me understand how to help my students not only now but my students in the future .
- Other:
- What components of your portfolio have you started to complete? I am working very hard on my student teaching video I am attempting to use iMovie to complete this.
- What support does your clinical educator need from Mrs.Suttle? None at this time
- What support do you need from Mrs.Suttle? None at this time
Go you, I totally understand how annoying it can be to make a plan and then have to adjust to that plan, but sometimes thats just what being a teacher is. I know you will make it through!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea...."This week I am going to implement math vocabulary as a hook for my math lessons." Make sure you represent the math vocabulary with as many visuals as possible. I am so glad you were given the opportunity to plan the Civil Rights lesson using cooperative groups!! Good Job!!
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Donna