I would rate this week a 4, this week went really great. Mostly, because we only had a three day week. I am continually amazed how much I have to focus on continually being intentional.
- Observe: Today I switched math time because we had teachers from another county observing how Eureka math is taught. I did math at 8:00-8:50, and students seemed completely different then when we usually do our math after lunch at 12:40. Students were focused and seemed to have more engagement in the lesson.
- Reflect: Next week I am continuing to build upon main idea through the instruction of Abraham Lincoln, student have done a great job identifying the main idea in the text and using facts to support their answers.
- Focus: My short-term goal of differentiating instruction is has flowed into helping my behavior student through my long-term plans.
- Be Productive: I am continuing to work on transitions in the classroom. I am making sure to track my time during instructional times.
- Have Courage: I had apprehension on disciplining a student this week over a small incident. I did not punish the student because I did not see it as negative consequence worthy. My CE on the other hand viewed it as needing a consequence. I spoke with my CE after school, and discussed somethings that she would have them face consequences for that I may not see as being bad.
- Begin Anew: My next logical step is to view how students are going to transition into connecting the life of Abraham Lincoln to slavery.
- I analyzed data from the ESL teacher on my student that is ESL. I have gathered information about the modifications that is needed in the classroom, and how to implement these without making the student feel like he is being treated differently.
- NC Professional Teaching Standards
- Standard 1: 1b, I continually incorporate my SIP goals into my lesson plans. The two biggest are number sense and vocabulary skill building. These two goals are weaved in my math and guided reading instruction time.
- Standard 2: 2c, I have made sure to communicate high expectations to all students no matter what their development level. I normally tell my students that there is goal for our reading stations (guided reading group) for the day, before and while we are working.
- Standard 3: 3c, I am greatly trying to improve my instruction by incorporating global awareness. I have had my students identify parts of the world that have different traditions about the tooth fairy, and also about government.
- Standard 4: 4a, This week I have contacted the specialist in my school. We have discussed what modifications need to be made for the students in my class. I have an EC student, a student that is in speech, and a ESL student.
- Standard 5: 5a, Also from contacting my school's specialist I have been able to use the modifications established through student testing data to help improve my students learning. For example I read aloud problems to the class for my EC student and I highlight important words or text on the board for my ESL student.
- Other:
- What components of your portfolio have you started to complete? I am gathering student work samples from my unit from my two students that I have chosen, and have worked on analysis.
- What support does your clinical educator need from Mrs.Suttle? None is needed at this time.
- What support do you need from Mrs. Suttle? None at this time.
I love how you a student teacher has people coming in to observe you, It is AWESOME! I like Ereka math for the students! they really seem to get it, for me on the other hand it seems like a lot more work. I don't know if that is how you feel, but for me if my students are getting it that is all I can ask for.
ReplyDeleteA Unit on Abe Lincoln must be so fun we did a writing thing about him if you want me to share I don't mind.
Interesting reflection concerning the engagement of students in the morning vs. afternoon! If possible, it might be a good idea to switch the schedule around on a regular basis so that Math and Reading share the more engaging time. This reflection also points to the importance of good hooks and engaging lessons all day long so students are focused and active learners at all times.
ReplyDeleteTake care,